Who We Are
History and Mission
Founded in 1948, the Jewish Federation of New Mexico (JFNM) is part of the Jewish Federations of North America (JFNA), a network of 189 Jewish Federations and 400 independent communities. These organizations, raising an annual total of $2 billion, are dedicated to improving and enriching Jewish life around the world.
Federation is the heart of New Mexico’s Jewish community and the primary organization through which to practice the Jewish value of tikkun olam—or “repairing the world”. It embodies a 3,500-year-old tradition of caring that goes back to the giving of the Torah and sustains us in the bold pursuit of Jewish community, Jewish values and Jewish peoplehood. Federation is the people who care enough to want to perfect an imperfect world. Federation is the passion of commitment, where tzedakah and a sense of social responsibility can make a difference in the lives of many.
Federation builds and strengthens Jewish community — from the Land of Enchantment to our homeland in Israel, from the homebound to the homeless. Whether the task is reducing Jewish poverty and hunger, rescuing and resettling new immigrants, or spurring Jewish renaissance worldwide, Federation is goal is to help ensure the continuity of the Jewish people in New Mexico.
- Growth of the Jewish Care Program to include home visits for seniors and the expansion of the Holiday Baskets program.
- Continued support of Israel on the University of New Mexico campus and throughout the state, promoting economic development between New Mexico and Israel, the state’s second largest trade partner.
- Completion of New Mexico’s first-ever Jewish Demographic Study.
- Renewed commitment to serving rural and outlying Jewish communities.
- Administration of the Jewish Care Program, providing social services to seniors, the underserved, and Holocaust survivors.
- Publication of the New Mexico Jewish Link.
- Administration of Hillel at the University of New Mexico.
- Ongoing support for the Santa Fe Jewish Film Festival, Santa Fe Middle East Watch, and Jewish communities in Taos, Las Vegas, Roswell, and beyond.
- Innovative programming such as the New Mexico residency of Ambassador Dennis Ross, New Mexico-Israel Economic Forums, Sephardic Heritage (Spanish Citizenship) Program, Kosher Cabrito, and more.
- Partnering with organizations throughout New Mexico, nationally, and in Israel to provide education and access to Jewish life for all who seek it.
- Networking, professional development, and mentorship programs for young professionals.
- And much more.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Marvin Gottlieb, Ph.D.,
Immediate Past President
Financial Resource Development
Vice President at Large
Jon Bell, CPA,
OTHER MEMBERS OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Term Expires in 2019
Todd Goldblum, M.D.
Term Expires in 2017
Neal Rosendorf, PhD
Rabbi Evelyn Baz
Rabbi Deborah Brin
Rabbi Chavah Carp
Cantor Barbara Finn
Rabbi Arthur Flicker
Rabbi Min Kantrowitz
Rabbi Harry Rosenfeld
Rabbi Chaim Schmukler
Director of Finance and Administration
Sara Koplik, Ph.D,
Director of Community Outreach
Erin Tarica, LMSW, MAJCS,
Director, Jewish Care Program
Hannah Arlette, LMSW,
Senior Programs Manager,
Jewish Care Program
Administrative and Accounting Specialist